Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11,2001...how I remember.....


Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day

I work nights, so I was asleep. I was pregnant and very worn out and tired. I was sleeping when I heard a banging on my bedroom window. I then heard my husband go to the door. I think I fell back asleep for a minute and then heard a booming voice. It was my husband. "Jen! Wake up! There are planes crashing everywhere...the Twin Towers...GONE! Part of the Pentagon GONE! "

I remember my response. "I just got to sleep, so unless work is gone, I still have to go there tonight!" As I gathered my thoughts and tried to wake up, it hit me. I started to panic. "Oh my God! Where is Aunt Corinne? Is she up there? Did she fly today?" My aunt, at the time, was a flight attendant. Thank God she was safe on the ground that fateful day. Looking back, I am shocked at my reaction that day, but up until that very moment, life was normal. It was a (somewhat) normal reaction of a very tired pregnant woman carrying out a very normal daily routine. That was just seconds before my life and my country as I knew it was changed forever.



Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

I remember being glued to the television. I watched as very scared people covered in the dust and rubble of the World Trade Center ran for their lives. I remember seeing crowds of people running. They didn't know who or exactly what they were running from, but they were running to save themselves. I remember crying for those people.


Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

I remember the lump in my throat. As I watch the re-broadcast today, that lump is still there. The tears still well up and I still get chills as I listen to the events unfold again.I remember seeing people carrying pictures of their loved ones and showing them to who ever would look at them. They couldn't find their loved ones, they didn't know if they were safe or if they were trapped in what remained of the towers. I remember the media saying that people were jumping from the towers. I remember the story of Todd Beamer and the rest of the heroes of Flight 93. Could you imagine calling your spouse to say a painful final goodbye? I remember saying a prayer. And another. And another.



Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue






The heroes who died just doing what they do



Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

Almost immediately, more flags were flown. Everything that could be draped in red, white and blue was covered with our country's colors. No matter which city you were in, people were wearing the letters NYFD to honor the Fire Departments of New York. Those departments lost so many great men and women that day, just doing what they do.







But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love


So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Eight years ago, I didn't talk to God as much as I do today. I didn't talk to Him on a daily basis, but I talked to him a million times that day. I know Jesus much better these days, and I talk to God on a daily, sometimes hourly basis!

'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL'

You say you will never forget where you were when
you heard the news On September 11, 2001.
Neither will I.

I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room
with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I
held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the
peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it
is OK..I am ready to go.'

I was with his wife when he called as she fed
breakfast to their children. I held her up as she
tried to understand his words and as she realized
he wasn't coming home that night.

I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a
woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been
knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said.
'Of course I will show you the way home - only
believe in Me now.'

I was at the base of the building with the Priest
ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He
heard my voice and answered.

I was on all four of those planes, in every seat,
with every prayer. I was with the crew as they
were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the
believers there, comforting and assuring them that their
faith has saved them.

I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan
I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
Did you sense Me?

I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew
every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me
for the first time on the 86th floor.

Some sought Me with their last breath.
Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the
smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take
my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me.
But, I was there.

I did not place you in the Tower that day. You
may not know why, but I do.. However, if you were
there in that explosive moment in time, would you have
reached for Me?

Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey
for you . But someday your journey will end. And I
will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may
be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are
'ready to go.'

I will be in the stairwell of your final moments.

God

Always remember September 11, 2001. Never forget the pain, the sadness or the anger. More importantly never forget those who gave their lives trying to save another. Please pray for the families of these fallen heroes, and for the families of the brave men and women who still defend our freedom eight years later.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the broadcast from 2001 this morning, too. It brought back so many memories. I was a scared teenager sitting in a high school classroom wondering which family member was flying where that day. I remember the news anchors saying that government buildings were thought to be targets and being terrified because both of my parents are police officers that work in government buildings. It was a horrible day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post Jenn. Beautiful. I will never forget one second of that morning. Billy was only 5 and I was struggling to explain to him what was happening, all the while wondering what kind of mother I was to be bringing another child into this world. But I believe God puts our children here for a reason! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete